Domestic Violence: Get A Denver Assault Lawyer Today
Denver Domestic Violence Attorney Defense Representation
Being accused domestic violence can be as distressing as it may be devastating, as allegations of domestic violence alone can be enough to end up causing substantial damage to people’s reputations, careers and families. To mitigate this damage and clear your good name, the best thing you can do when facing domestic violence charges is contact an experienced Denver domestic violence attorney at the Law Office of Jarrett Benson. Our lawyers are dedicated to helping people protect their rights and obtain justice when they have been wrongly accused of domestic violence and other criminal offenses. With our attorneys on your side, you can be confident that you will have the strongest defense and that your case will be resolved as favorably as possible.
Colorado Domestic Violence Charges & Cases: What You Need to Know
- There are mandatory arrest laws in Colorado – By law, when police receive a domestic violence call, they are required to make an arrest if there is probable cause to suspect that domestic violence may have occurred.So, if a domestic violence call comes from your home, the chances are that someone will be arrested after police arrive at the scene. If that someone is you, the best things you can do are not resist the arrest (it won’t help you) and not say anything (as your statements could later be used against you).
- Physical contact is not necessary for domestic violence to have occurred – In fact, domestic violence charges can come into play when there is simply an alleged threat of violence or harmful physical contact. Similarly, these charges can arise from allegedly damaging property or harassing someone, including a romantic partner or any person “with whom the actor is or has been involved in an intimate relationship” (C.R.S. 18-6-800.3(1)).This creates a broad range of actions that can constitute domestic violence, as well as people who can bring about these charges.
- Mandatory ‘no contact’ orders take effect when domestic violence charges are filed – The intention of these orders is to err on the side of caution and protect the alleged victim while the case is pending.These orders can end putting the accused out of his or her home while also barring them from contacting the alleged victim in any way. Abiding by these orders will be crucial to the efficient and successful resolution of a domestic violence case.
- Alleged victims cannot drop domestic violence charges – Only prosecutors in these cases can choose to drop the charges. So, if the accuser later decides that (s)he no longer wants to pursue a case, (s)he can make this request to a prosecutor, but it will ultimately be up to the prosecuting attorney to make the decision regarding whether to pursue the case or drop the charges.
- A domestic violence conviction can result in a number of serious penalties – Along with possible jail time and fines, other court-ordered penalties for domestic violence can include mandatory attendance to a domestic violence program and probation. Additionally, Colorado domestic violence convictions can result in the loss of various rights, such as the right to own firearms, for life.
- Domestic violence cases are defendable – This may be the single most important fact to know when facing domestic violence charges because it can motivate the accused to retain an experienced attorney and fight the charges.The bottom line is that Colorado domestic violence charges are serious, and the outcome of these cases can have long-term, serious impacts on people’s lives. Because your future matters, make sure you have the strongest defense against these charges by contacting the Law Office of Jarrett Benson today.
Contact an Experienced Denver Domestic Violence Attorney at the Law Office of Jarrett Benson
If you or a loved one has been charged with domestic violence, contact an experienced Denver domestic violence attorney at the Law Office of Jarrett Benson for the best defense representation. As a former prosecutor and experienced trial attorney, I can foresee the common tactics that the opposition will try to use against you. Because I am familiar with how the prosecution, the judge, and the court operates, I can help you successfully navigate the judicial system and pursue a favorable outcome.
Contact Denver Assault Attorneys at Jared Benson who has Experience Defending Assault Crimes
To learn more about your best defense options, as well as how we can assist you, call us at (720) 594-3299 or email our firm via the contact form to set up an initial consultation with one of our attorneys. From our offices in Denver, our criminal defense attorneys provide the highest quality legal services to people throughout the Denver metro area, Arapahoe County, Weld County, Douglas County, and the state of Colorado.